Just to the south of the University’s Tad Smith Coliseum is a modest walled lawn with a single monument at the center. Here lies Confederate soldiers who died after the battle of Shiloh in 1862. During the Civil War the buildings of Ole Miss became hospitals for the battle wounded, and the casualties were thus buried here.  At one time the cemetery had individual markers but a groundskeeper removed them to mow and forgot where they belonged.