Located on the main campus of the University of Mississippi, the University Museums comprise the Mary Buie Museum (1939), the adjoining Kate Skipwith Teaching Museum (1977), the Seymour Lawrence Gallery of American Art (1998), and the Lib Fortune Gallery (1998). The names associated with the building honor members of the Skipwith Family of Oxford, who built the original museum and provided the site and partial funding for the addition.
The museums are home to several impressive, permanent collections including the Robinson collection of Greek and Roman antiquities, the Millington-Barnard Collection of 19th century scientific instruments, the personal collections of Mary Buie & Kate Skipwith, and an extensive collection of the work of Theora Hamblett, an native Oxonion folk artist. Each year the University Museums host eight to ten temporary exhibits in conjunction with various university departments and the local community. Traveling exhibitions from other museums are also represented.
Oxford, MS 38655
Closed Sun. and Mon.