Visit Oxford moved to a new location on October 1, 2015. The location may be new to the Visitors Center, but it is certainly not new to Oxford. United States Senator W.V. Sullivan and Justice L.Q.C. Lamar built this historic building in 1885. In 1905 James Stone purchased the building, and it has served as a law office for two different firms over the last 110 years. First, it belonged to the law firm of James Stone & Sons from 1905 – 1962. Phil Stone, son of James Stone, was a mentor for William Faulkner, and in 1959 the building appears in Faulkner’s novel, The Sound and the Fury. Several of Stone’s secretaries typed Faulkner’s early novels in this building. Freeland & Freeland Law Firm resided here from 1962-2015.
Many well-known political figures also practiced law here over the years including Taylor McElroy, Senator W.V. Sullivan, and Justice L.Q.C. Lamar. McElroy was a Justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court, United States Senator W.V. Sullivan was the first graduate of Vanderbilt Law School and L.Q.C. Lamar served on United States Supreme Court in both houses of Congress and was Secretary of the Interior. The house of Justice L.Q.C. Lamar now serves as a museum in Oxford.
Come visit us at our new location, 1013 Jackson Avenue East, to learn more about the building, and see all the law books that still reside on the shelves!